Sydney "talks" constantly. No, really. Constantly. Her baby talk is a stream of syllables that end in statement like tones. If you respond to her, she will "answer" back and keep the conversation going. It's really neat, and I can't wait to find out what's so darn important that she has to tell me over and over again -- is Timmy stuck in the well, the secret of the universe is..., hey, I just thought of the Fibonacci sequence and I'm not even a year old, my diaper needs changing, pay attention to me 'cause I'm so cute. The possibilities are endless.
In the midst of the babble, she says all kinds of syllables that are technically words, but she attaches no meaning to them, as of yet, so I don't count them as a "first word." So, "dada" which she started saying months and months ago (whether Jeremy is around or not), doesn't count. My dog-loving cousin getting Sydney to string her "da" syllable with her "ga" syllable to say "dog" didn't count. To me, a first word is the syllable with the meaning going together.
Now the poll ('cause you don't get to vote on the "dada" or the "dog" bit -- I made up my mind and no one can change it ).
Does "uh-oh" count as a first word? They are indeed syllables with meaning. But they aren't in the dictionary. Because if they count, they are Sydney's first word. She drops something, "uh-oh." She escapes from her playroom, "uh-oh." I drop something, "uh-oh." And then mostly she giggles because dropping things and escaping are HIlarious.
Is "uh-oh" a first word?
No comments:
Post a Comment