Saturday, November 14, 2009

Turkey Build

Tonight was our first annual Turkey Build at St. John's.

What is a Turkey Build, you ask?

It looks something like this:


The entire family comes together to create a turkey and then write things we are thankful for on the "feathers."

Sydney and I were responsible for the painting. Sydney has been a little texture deprived lately, so she dove right into the painting. It started with her fingers and ended with homemade "gloves." Sigh. At least she was dressed in her paint clothes... the family ministries direction had warned us that showing gratitude can get messy.


Jeremy was in charge of the actual construction of the bird.

And Jack's job was to be okay hanging out on his own for almost two hours. It was a tough job, so despite the noise level of a dozen or so families painting, hammering, melting down, and running amuck, Jack finally just took a nap. I would call it sleeping on the job, but it worked out so well that I'm going to let him slide just this once.


The official picture of gratitude:

And in case you are wondering (because I'm not sure you can see it clearly on the pictures), this year, the Nolens are thanking God for:

Family
Friends to play with (that was Sydney's)
Joining St. John's UMC
Jobs during hard times
a beautiful home
and mostly, each other: Jeremy, Rebecca, Sydney and Jack are written on the other four feathers.

3 comments:

  1. I want a copy of that last picture. That is great.

    And messy is an understatement, but it looks like she had a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an awesome idea! love the gloves!

    ReplyDelete