Two Sundays ago, on January 22nd, our church had Children's Sunday. All of the drama with the not-pox kept me from blogging about it, but now that things have quieted down, I wanted to revisit.
I love that our church does Children's Sunday. The gist of it is that children do the entire worship service. Sydney has been an usher for the last two years on Children's Sunday and was old enough this year to have a few other roles, although she still ushered with her brother.
First of all, she did the Passing of the Peace. That means that she got up to the microphone and said, "The Peace of the Lord be with you." The congregation responded, "And also with you." And she gave the sweetest giggle in the world when they did.
She was also the song leader, so she directed, somewhat. She was also supposed to announce the songs, but the organist (the only adult who kept her role, by the way) kept starting before Sydney could speak. For the last song, I passed the organist a note to please give Sydney a chance to say the hymn number. Throughout the sermon (which the older kids did), Sydney and I practiced saying, "Please stand and sing hymn number 707." Then her turn came. She panicked, looked at me on her way up and said, "What do I say?"
I foolishly said, "Tell them what hymn it is."
So she got up to the mike and said, "What hymn is it?"
Everyone gave a good-natured chuckle and I said, "707" and Sydney repeated "707" and all was well.
Her only disappointment about the whole thing was that she didn't get to do all of the parts. She hated waiting for her turn to speak. I think she is going to love Children's Sunday once she is old enough to read a speaking part.
No comments:
Post a Comment