Sunday, April 8, 2012

He is Risen

He is Risen, Indeed!

I love Easter.  I love sharing the message of the risen Christ with my kids.  I love sharing the fellowship of the holiday with my friends.
We started Easter Sunday at the 8:30 service.  I had taken the kids up to St. John's for Eater pictures over Spring Break so I wouldn't have to worry about it on Easter Sunday.
I thought the pictures came out really well and was very proud of both children.
I really enjoyed the choir at the Easter service... one of the drawbacks of attending the 8:30 service is only have the chancel choir singing on special Sundays.  The message of Christ coming for all and our responsibility to be witnesses to the Easter story, either directly or indirectly, was a good one.

After church, we went to have brunch at Wildfire, on the square at then on to the house to do Easter baskets.  This year, I had the idea of doing Ladybug Girl themed baskets... Ladybug Girl for Sydney and Bumblebee Boy for John.
 The kids loved them!
 
 
I loved how adorable my own Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy turned out to be!

By the time we were done with our Easter baskets, our friends had arrived for the third annual egg hunt.
This year, in addition to Abigail, Emelia and Sean and their parents and Ava and her brother and parents, we also invited the Edmistons, Elizabeth and Jeff and their adult son Jake, who often works in the church nursery. 
The adults alternated between following the kids around with cameras and helpful suggestions about egg hunting and sitting around chatting amongst themselves.

Sydney found the golden egg this year, with the prize sticker and grand five dollar cash prize.
The prizes this year were lego sets, which Abigail, Emelia and Sydney immediately set about putting together, once inside.
Ava, John and Sean continued playing outside while the adults sat around visiting.  Jake and Ava's brother, Andrew, played video games.  Mostly, it was the perfect, relaxed, kids having fun, adults having fun kind of holiday experience that I was wanting.
Easter is a holiday that I remember sharing with my family as a child growing up and I am so grateful for my friends who are like a family to me, to share it with, three years running.  I know my own family in Houston wonders sometimes what I expect to do about giving my kids traditions and the sense of family living so far away from blood relatives.  It's hard to overcome distance from family, but with friends like the ones I have here in Georgetown, I feel that my kids can enjoy the people with whom they share genetics as often as we are able and they still get to have family for all of the important holidays.

1 comment:

  1. I love the Bumblebee Boy for John. It allows him to have a similar dress-up to his big sister who he looks up to, but is still clearly his and masculine.

    ReplyDelete