Monday, April 30, 2007

Thanks Goodness for Old Fashioned Church Ladies

You know, I've locked myself out of my own house before. I've locked my keys in my car. I've even locked my car keys into my classroom at school.

But I've never locked myself IN before. Especially not into my daughter's bedroom.

Here's the story: Jeremy and I have given Sydney a bath and are putting her PJs on her. As usual, we have shut her bedroom door to keep cats out. We have Sydney in her PJs and are now ready to go put her down in our room. Jeremy turns the knob on her bedroom door. Nothing happens. The knob just turns round and round. Huh.

(Cut back ten minutes before the bath: I am grabbing a towel from Sydney's room. The doorknob seems a little loose. Oh, well. I take the towel to Jeremy and we continue the bathing process. No need to worry about loose doorknobs. No sirree.)

So, Jeremy is now trying to MacGuyver his way out of the situation while I'm eyeballing Sydney's window and the mass of shrubbery directly outside it. You need to ask yourself, how would get out of a bedroom when the doorknob is obviously broken using ONLY the implements commonly found in a baby's room. Go ahead, you fellow new parents, shut yourself in your son/daughter's room and see what you can find.

Pacifiers, soft teething toys, a few blankets, a ton of cute clothes, plastic hangers, rolly balls, and some stuffed animals. Not helpful. The shrubbery is seeming less intimidating.

Jeremy is now trying to get the latch to press in using cardboard tags off of Sydney's new clothes and toys. No luck. He mentions that it would be helpful to be able to remove the doorknob, if only he had a screwdriver.

Inspiration strikes! (And here's the backstory: a lovely older lady at the church gave Sydney a set of Oneida flatware in baby sizes with the note: "so she can learn proper table manners; so many children these days don't have proper table manners!") I go into Sydney's closet and get the knife from the flatware set.

Jeremy successfully removed the doorknob using a child-sized Oneida knife. We left Sydney's room, Jeremy fixed the doorknob, and all's well that ends well.

No comments:

Post a Comment