Saturday, February 23, 2008

I'm in this club, but the first rule is I'm not supposed to talk about it...

Alternative title for this piece: Wolverine Baby.

I meant to send these out via e-mail the other day, so I thought I would try the wacky new blog format.

Sydney got her first black eye a little over a week ago. The sitter wants me to tell all of you that it did NOT happen on her watch! (I think she got a little defensive after I asked her about a skinned knee -- I really just wanted to know the story, 'cause it's Sydney's FIRST skinned knee and all....) Anyway, it was me, all me. I was changing her diaper and took my eyes off of her for (you know all moms have to say it this way "just a second") to grab a diaper from the shelf that is right next to the changing table and she decides to do some baby gymnastics and flip off of the changing table. I got her by the arm, simultaneously breaking her fall to the floor and pushing her face into the side of the changing table, causing the black eye.

Here's the eye just minutes after it happened:
(Yes, here is the moment to question why I have my camera out just "minutes after" my daughter takes a flying leap off of her changing table. But really, doesn't she look like she had been properly consoled? I mean, that's almost a smile there.)




The eye was abraded and red within a few minutes, so we were prepared for a really scary looking black eye. But then Sydney proved once again that she has her father's rapid healing genes. 'Cause here's that eye just three days later:





Already healed. Aren't you glad I got that "minutes after it happened" picture now?

4 comments:

  1. Nice shiner. Are you sure she wasn't taking part in some futuristic plot set up by the cats? Why else would a baby do gymnastics off the changing table? I blame Agatha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would blame Agatha as well, except she scratched Sydney two months ago and instantly became an outdoor cat. :)

    On the other hand, Sydney did push Link into a bath tub full of water last week. Since he was kind enough not to scratch, bite, or even hiss at the time, maybe convincing her that she could jump off of changing tables as well as a cat was his way of teaching her a lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say that getting a black eye from a fall on Mommy’s watch is a childhood right of passage, but that sounds so cliché-ish. I will say, good for Sydney for healing so quickly and good for Mommy for capturing the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I like the idea that it was a "rite of passage." If so, I'm glad we survived it so well!

    ReplyDelete