Sunday, February 24, 2008

"Only five books tonight, Mommy"

Sydney's favorite books these days (with number one being her MOST favorite):

1. Ten Little Ladybugs
2. Going on a Bear Hunt
3. Bear Snores On
4. Olivia
5. Hippos Go Berserk

My limit on reading Ten Little Ladybugs I found is a total of ten times in a single sitting. I just can't do any more than that. We have a mission statement around her to never tell Sydney "no" to a book, but I think I'm safely following the rule and keeping my sanity by distracting her when I am just done. Also, Jeremy found out that keeping the adult entertained by changing the intonation or rhythm of the book reading is not acceptable. He read Ten Little Ladybugs in a singing voice the other day and she took the book away from him and brought it to me for the correct reading.

The other problem I run into is that I do a familiar readings read aloud every morning for my kindergarten class. They chose three books from a basket of favorite books and I read those. It's supposed to mimic the kind of reading that Sydney gets at home all the time for those kiddos who don't get read to that often. Hippos Go Berserk and Olivia are two of the books that my class just loves as well, so this past week, for example, someone asked for Olivia every day during the week and then Sydney would ask for it again when I got home. The good news is, once I've more or less memorized a book, I read it with minimal attention on the page and more focus on my daughter's reactions as I read, which is nice.

But don't get me wrong, you guys all know that I just love that Sydney loves being read to so very much. Jeremy and I are such readers that it's something I really want to pass on to her and so far it seems to be working. The only time she really won't let you read to her is when she wants to read the book herself, so she'll take it from you, open it, babble, turn the page, babble some more, and so forth until the book is "finished."

The title for this blog, by the way, is a line from Olivia in which Olivia and her mother are negotiating for how many bedtime stories Olivia gets to listen to that night. Olivia asks for five, her mother says one, and they settle at the end for three. My aunt Marcy (who is also an elementary teacher) wrote in Sydney's copy of Olivia that she hoped that Sydney would be like Olivia and ask her mommy and daddy to read to her every night. Looks like Aunt Marcy's wish for Sydney is coming true.

5 comments:

  1. I can certainly vouch for Sydney's love of Ten Little Ladybugs and how hard a board book can be if it is not read enough. Love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like blogs, Dave!

    Mom -- I'm still so glad that you got to read that book to Sydney last time you were here. It so reminded me of ALL of the times that Mema read to me. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for reading to little ones! [Probably Dumb] Question [But I'm asking because you're a teacher as well as my friend]: It's okay to read "girl" character books to boys, right? I don't want our son to miss out on the cool pictures of Olivias and Nancies just because the characters wear dresses.

    I'm really hoping that Pip likes Dr. Suess books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is TOTALLY okay to read girl character books to boys. A lot of the boys in my class like Olivia. There is a page where she is getting dressed and it shows like 20 different outfits. I always ask the kid who picked out the book what their favorite Olivia outfit of the day is, and the girls invariably say the dresses and the boys tend toward the turtle neck and the hats, but they all love her. So, read on!

    P.S. I bet Pip will LOVE Dr. Seuss. Kids tend to go for books that the adults are making the most fun, so since you love Dr. Seuss, Pip probably will, too. And then you can introduce him to "Seussical the Musical" when he's a little older.

    ReplyDelete