Saturday, December 27, 2008
Christmas Eve at the Zoo
It turns out that the best day to go to the zoo is Christmas Eve. Particularly if Christmas Eve happens to fall on a weekday, has temperature in the 70's, and is just a little drizzly.
On the one hand, we did get a little wet, but on the other hand, there was nobody there (seriously, we had to wait for someone to walk by so we could get this picture), and the animals were out enjoying the weather.
Although I wouldn't really say that a pigeon is a zoo animal, Sydney sure liked them. She was having a hard time deciding how to get the pigeon out of her way, though, so she could walk on. The pigeon, I think, was having a hard time deciding how to get this little girl out of his way so he could peck on. It was a funny little stand off.
Sydney really enjoyed the giraffes this visit. You may remember that the other times we have been to the zoo, Sydney has been more interested in the leaves, or the fences than the animals. This time, though, the animals were the important part.
I know this is a little out of order, but I think to understand why giraffes were the animal of the day, you have to know that Dave and Suzanne (who have been living in Nigeria for the last nine months) came home for Christmas and brought a hand carved wooden giraffe with them. Sydney loved it and remembered it when we got to the zoo.
So when it was time to ride the carousel, you will never guess what Sydney picked... the giraffe! Thanks Dave and Suzanne for the inspiring animal, and thanks to Kara for the idea to go to the zoo on Christmas Eve (we wished you guys could have joined us).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wish we could have joined you too, but Peter was ready for a nap right around when you guys got to the zoo. Glad you had fun!
ReplyDeleteRebecca! My RSS feeder didn't tell you've been updating your blog for three months! Now I am going through from where I left off. I'll get to see Sydney grow in strength and wisdom right before my eyes.
ReplyDeleteI love the giraffe theme here.