Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tall Decaf Soy Iced Latte

I imagine someday that Sydney will be a coffee snob, or at least a regular coffee drinker. I usually don't try to pigeon-hole her in any way or make too many predictions about who she will be when she grows up, but in this, I feel pretty safe in my assumption.

So, when Sydney is a young woman who has to have her cup o' Joe every morning, or can tell you the difference between Columbian and Guatemalan coffees, or maybe just knows which coffee shop has the best espresso, I imagine that she will tell her friends that she loved coffee from the time she was a baby. This is where I want to set the record straight. We did not give her coffee in a bottle. She was not weaned from breast milk on to lattes. We didn't even let her order at a Starbucks until she was a year old, and while I did call what I ordered for her a "cafe mocha", it was a cafe-mocha-hold-the-expresso (a chocolate milk, in other words). It wasn't until she was two years old that she tried some of her daddy's coffee and we learned how much she likes the stuff.

Now when we go to Starbucks, Sydney gets a tall (that's a Starbucks small, for the uninitiated) decaf ('cause caffeinating a toddler is just asking for trouble) soy (she's lactose intolerant, remember) iced (so she won't burn her little mouth) latte. It's perhaps not the usual treat for a toddler, but it's what Sydney likes, and when I compare it to sugar-frosted-cocoa-bomb-cereal, I think the coffee is a better choice for a treat, anyway.

5 comments:

  1. Next time you're in the country, we'll have to go get coffee together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is nice but I wasn't talking about the coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, did you mean you want your own super cute little girl? I know how you can get one (or maybe a super cute little boy, which is just as good, if not quite the same)....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, but babies and malaria pills don't mix well so we must wait. I'm not very good a waiting. I want what I want and I want it now!

    :)

    D

    ReplyDelete