7:30 A nice warm bubble bath, like always
7:45 Into jammies, bedtime rountines observed, like always
8:00 Bedtime, like always, only this time, in the new bed
Sydney initially does not believe us that she will be sleeping in her extra bed. Even as we are saying "good night" and putting on her music, you can tell that she thinks this is a game. It's only when the door is shut that she cries.
8:01 We go back in, try explaining the whole "you get to sleep in the big girl bed" idea again, and give her some of her books to read.
8:02 Sydney cries again. We go back in, put her in bed and tell her to lay down.
8:03 We can hear Sydney talking and singing, but she sounds like she always does at bedtime. So far, so good.
8:15 I check on Sydney. She has fifteen new books on the bed and is happily reading.
8:45 Everything is quiet. I go in to see my sleeping beauty...
And find a well powdered baby. Sydney's daddy and I have a half whispered, half telepathic discussion about how to respond:
Jeremy: I believe this is a spanking offense!
Me: But it's so cute!
Jeremy: Do you know how hard powder is to clean up? And she so knew better!
Me: But she has all of this new freedom and responsibility being unrestrained without grown ups in the room. This was too much temptation.
Jeremy: You sound like you knew this would happen.
Me: Ummmm. Sigh. I guess a time out would at least get her out of the way while we clean up.
Jeremy: I'll go get the vacuum cleaner.
9:00 Sydney is still talking and making noise. On the one hand, she still isn't crying, but on the other hand, she isn't really showing any signs of sleeping any time soon either.
9:15 Jeremy starts to question the wisdom of all of this nonsense.
9:16 I start surfing the internet for suggestions to make the transition any smoother (while secretly convinced that Sydney is being a real trooper).
9:20 One website recommends those rails that you can get to help kids not roll out of bed, not just for the not rolling but because it makes the twin bed more secure-feeling, like a crib. I remember that we have one... somewhere.
9:30 Found the bed rail. Start assembly.
9:45 Bed rail installed. Jeremy and I go in, clean off the twenty or so books on Sydney's bed, tell her firmly to stay in bed, hand her three books and her special stuffed animals and leave the room.
10:00 No sound from Sydney's room. I go check on her and see a beautiful sleeping baby.
10:01 I get my camera.
10:02 Jeremy threatens numerous consequences if I wake our daughter after all of this.
10:03 Sydney is still asleep and here's the picture:
10:50 I finish the blog post and Jeremy admits that it all went really well. And that the picture is super cute!
Yay for the big girl!! It sounds like she did exactly what she was supposed to and her very forward-thinking mommy and daddy did what they were supposed to. This is such a big step for her.
ReplyDeleteIt is a big step... lots of new found freedom. I do wish we had been forward-thinking enough to remove the Vaseline from her dresser after the whole powder incident... Baby may not make it through this one.
ReplyDeleteLol re: the powder.
ReplyDelete