Sunday, September 6, 2009

Rainy Day

We finally had another rainy day. As a child growing up in Houston, I remember both loving and hating rainy days. On the one hand, it meant I couldn't go outside and play in my backyard, but I did love looking at the rain on the sliding glass door in my parents' house. Here in Georgetown, especially this year, there has been little to no rain. Even when it does rain, the "storm" only lasts a few minutes and then a drizzle is left.

So yesterday, when we could actually see the rain out the window, I checked for thunder and lighting, saw (and heard) none, and quickly got Sydney dressed in her raincoat and boots. Sure enough, by the time we got outside, the downpour was reduced to a light rain but we still got plenty wet and found many, many puddles.

I realized the idea of rainboots for a toddler is a little silly... I know, I know, many people just instinctively knew that. Here's why I decided they were silly: Turns out if you splash big enough that water will get inside the rainboot.

Yeah, Sydney's socks were soaked.

So we did some expressive water painting.

Then she decided she wanted to do chalk and since she was already all wet and messy, we got out water and a paintbrush and did water and chalk (which can work both ways, draw with chalk and get it wet for a cool watercolor effect, or wet the concrete and then draw with chalk which makes for very vibrant colors).

I just hope she didn't ruin her socks.

2 comments:

  1. Those are some awesome socks. And what a cool way to use the garage on a rainy day. I'm glad she got to play in rain. We have been out of the drought here for a little over a year, but they suck. We've yet to let Michael puddle jump. Maybe we'll wait till he can jump first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing how happy she is in the water!

    ReplyDelete