The temperature has dropped from this past, record breaking summer, to a "cool" 85 degrees most days. But the calendar says "October" and so, tank tops and flip flops notwithstanding, it's fall.
For this autumn Saturday, I decided to take the kids out to Crowe's Nest Farm. It's where my class goes on field trips each year and I always regret not being able to share the experience with Sydney and her brother. The farm isn't open to the public except on special days, like today.
We missed the first part of the tour... which included the informational video that I have seen four times already, so I was good with that. We did get to see part of the milking demonstration and talk to Farmer Dave about being lactose intolerant, which was what Sydney thought of immediately when she saw cow's milk.
Then we were off to the hayride, in which Farmer Brian showed us the bison and the ostriches.After that, we were on our own. We went through the rest of the farm on our own. Sydney and Jack both took pictures, but I was the one who put an additional 500+ pictures on the camera.
I just think so many things about this place are magical. I love their themed gardens and had to get pictures of all of my favorites.
From the themed gardens, we went to the Faerie Wood, which you enter through this amazing vine covered arched walkway.
In the Faery Wood, there are just dozens of fairy and gnome statues. Sydney and Jack both thought it was pretty neat.
I thought, once again, that it was absolutely wonderful. And so I took more pictures.
They do have actual animals at the farm, but Sydney wasn't all that interested in seeing most of them. I did notice one chicken picture on her camera. I know she thought the hayride and the bison and ostriches were neat. But beyond the gardens and the Faery Wood (for which we did go back to the car to get our wings, which I brought just in case), Sydney just loved running around the whole place.
I also decided to take advantage of the beautiful scenery and mostly overcast skies to do get some "official" 5th birthday pictures. I am saving the best of the best, but here are some shots that didn't make the cut.
I am so glad that we decided to go out to Crowe's Nest. I recommend it to any of my local friends. The cost is reasonable and I know the drought is really hurting them, so if you think places like this are neat, take the time to go out and give them your patronage. Fairy wings are optional.
It's hard to believe she's almost 5 already.
ReplyDelete