Every weekend, Jeremy and I get Sydney's meals ready for the coming week. Although she will a lot of the things that Jeremy cooks, most of them are not finger foods that I can pack in her lunch. Our fabulous sitter has made a point of helping us keep Sydney's diet varied and I think that has contributed a great deal towards what a great eater she is. Many people have expressed amazement at the choices of foods Sydney will eat, so I thought I would give a sample of a weeks worth of food. (Bear with me -- the spell check function will only tell me a word is misspelled, it won't offer suggestions and food words are tricky.)
1. bow tie pasta with butter and parmesan cheese (this week the pasta is multicolored, Sydney picked it out at the grocery store)
2. cheese tortellini (one of the church ladies made this for dinner last Wednesday and Sydney LOVED it)
3. beans (ranch style this week, but we haven't yet found a bean that Sydney didn't like, black eyed are her favorite)
4. zuchini (stir fried in soy sauce)
5. tomatoes (also stir fried in soy sauce)
6. tomato and cucumber salad with balsalmic vinigrette
7. black olives
8. green beans
9. peas and carrots ("me and Jenny are like..." I never got that reference until I started grocery shopping for Sydney and realized they come canned that way)
10. edemame (soy beans)
11. refried beans on a tortilla (She isn't sure about this, yet -- she likes refried beans A LOT but the tortilla is a new taste and texture.)
12. cheese quesadillas (also new, we'll see how she likes them)
13. new potatoes (with LOTS of pepper and seasoning on them)
14. vegetable soup, drained
15. string cheese
16. "boco" burgers (soy burgers)
17. silver dollar pancakes
18. waffles
19. apples
20. bananas
She will also eat dill pickles, green and red peppers, eggs, and just plain bread, but we didn't get any of those at the store this week.
We send her to the sitters with four servings of food, and often we get reports back of her finishing her lunch and munching down on someone else's leftovers. For breakfast, she has a banana and a waffle (or pancakes). She has two or three Cheerio-like snacks per day, and for dinner, she eats three to four more servings of food. The sitter was telling us that it isn't possible to overfeed children at this age, but last week (during what we think was a growth spurt when she was hungry all the time) we were all starting to wonder.
At least there is NO concern over her getting enough to eat!
Are you guys vegetarians? I didn't know that if so.
ReplyDeleteWay to go on introducing Sydney to so many new foods! (Way to Go is intentionally APO themed since you have re-entered volunteer land).
It's not that we're vegetarians -- it's that there are so few good meats to give to toddlers. Gerber makes meat sticks, but she got tired of them. She will eat chicken, but only in very small pieces. We haven't really tried many beef dishes with her. Hence the vegetarian diet.
ReplyDeleteGood to know. I hadn't really thought of that. Now it makes sense why so many toddlers of my acquaintance seem to get a lot of protein from cheese cubes.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the list - it will come in handy someday. :)
ReplyDeleteHmmm - a 16-month-old who is NOT a picky eater, who eats vegetables and lots of kinds of food . . . that is "Do as I say, not as I do" at its very best. (It doesn't work nearl y as well when they are older!)
ReplyDeleteWay to go!
So true, so true! I can only hope that she continues to eat like her daddy and NOT like her mother!
ReplyDeleteGlad to see that you found the blog, Carol.
Definitely better for her to be a Daddy's girl in the food department.
ReplyDeleteI'm a fan of turkey myself for protein. It tastes better than chicken yet still better for you than beef.