Sunday, September 7, 2008

Books and Boots


Sydney has taken to reading to herself these days. She still prefers to have her daddy or me read to her, but she will now get a book and just look at the pictures and "read" to herself. I particularly liked this moment because she was looking at Brown Bear, Brown Bear and got to the page with the black sheep and started singing "Baa Baa Black Sheep" which is really from her nursery rhyme book, but she decided it also went with this page in the Brown Bear book, which I thought was pretty smart.



Here she is looking at Hush Little Baby which is another favorite of hers (you can My Favorite Things on the couch next to her, as well as Cynthia Rylant's The Bookshop Dog which is the only long picture book she likes so far). She is also wearing her new boots.



Another picture with the boots. I love those boots. I actually wanted them badly enough to use my grand Bunco winnings (a whopping $20) to buy them since Jeremy thought they were overpriced for kid shoes. I think they are darling and am so glad that I was able to get them for her. Too cute!

I will point out at this time that Sydney loves to go shoe shopping. We dropped Jeremy off at GameStop and drove over to Payless. Sydney was still trying on shoes after her daddy had finished all of his game shopping and walked across the parking lot to join us at Payless. She prefers white sandals with flowers on them, and really, butterflies look kind of like flowers, so if the shoe has butterflies, that works, too. I still bought the rock'n boots, but I have a feeling that Sydney may chose more girlie shoes once she is old enough to pick for herself. Isn't that the way it goes? My mother loved the girlie stuff and I liked the denim and the plaids, and now I'm dressing Sydney the way I wished I had been dressed and she is trending towards the girlie. I still think she's too young to have definate taste, but I'm trying to prepare myself for the eventual school clothes shopping fights: "What do you mean you want to wear a flouncy dress to school? Only sissies wear flouncy dresses!"

Sigh. See, that's why I'm working on it now. So I can learn lines like "wow, what a cute dress, and it even twirls" or "yes, the lace does add to the look of those jeans." Blech.

4 comments:

  1. Those boots are rockin! I loved the plaids and the flowers, so there is hope, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will do my best to influence her toward less 'blechy' clothes, but it may be an uphill battle...
    LOVE those boots! now she needs a little denim jacket to go with them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denim? Kim, I say go out and go with a little leather one. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's a smarty pants! So young to be "reading" to herself. In a weird way, if Sydney takes to girly clothes, it will be in honor of you, because she probably got the idea from your favorite musicals.

    ReplyDelete