Sydney turned two this past Sunday, November 2nd. We had her birthday party at a local indoor playground, and I have to say that it went really well.

There were three other kids her age at the party -- her friend from the sitter's, Jimmy, our Lamaze buddy, Enzo, and my friend Kara's son, Peter. I think she really enjoyed having the boys there. She hugged on Jimmy and Peter (who are both just over a year old) and ran amuck with Enzo. She also had two of her grandmas, several aunts, and two older cousins to celebrate with her.

Here I think she was showing off for the boys. That's an elephant she is sitting on. The elephant is often something she fights over with other children whenever we come here. (The reason the elephant is so superior to all other toys is because you can sit on and then fall over with the elephant.)

Throughout the playground there are slides and tunnels. Jeremy and his mom and my cousin's son Myles went through the whole thing with her. Even when Daddy and Grandma needed a break, Myles was there. I worry sometimes about big kids bothering her or running over her, so it was nice to know that on her birthday, she was running with the biggest kid there.

There was also a basketball area, where Sydney played a combo dodgeball/kickball/basketball game that only she knew the rules to.

Here she is on the zipline. Normally, I'm the one who brings her to this place and she only gets to run the zipline once. With Daddy around, she got to go over and over again.

We had a good spread of food. Best of all, we didn't have to make any of it, and we didn't have to clean it up afterwards.

Sydney was very into the present opening this year. She made it through all but two gifts (which were from her daddy and me, so we just took them home for her to unwrap later). I will say, though, one of the things that made the party go so smoothly was starting the present opening much sooner than seemed prudent. I think thirty minutes into the party, long before the kids were done playing, we stopped to do round one of present opening. Then we had cake and ran around some more. After that, we had round two of present opening. I just don't think she could have made it through them all in one sitting. And next year, she can open Mama and Daddy gifts another time altogether.

Finally, the blowing out of the candles (which Sydney didn't really get) and the singing of "Happy Birthday" (which she loved).
Her 1st birthday seemed to be all about getting through the moments and getting the pictures before she melted down. This year, it seemed a lot more about her enjoyment. And I think she really enjoyed herself.
We always had "morning" parties at home on the actual birthdates of our kids. I made Rice Krispie treats, with one special one cut out in a scallop shape. It was served on a small plate with the requisite number of candles. Everyone got up 20 to 30 minutes early. Cards and gifts from immediate family were opened, and happy birthday was sung. My kids always enjoyed their birthday morning , and their birthday celebration either before/after just gave them another time to feel special. This worked well for us.
ReplyDeleteI had such a great time this weekend, and especially enjoyed Jungle Java (I have the bruises to prove it)! It was wonderful to see her running around, she is one very energetic little girl!
ReplyDeleteI like the morning party idea... making a special time for just the family to celebrate sounds like a good thing.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry we had to miss this! It looks like the birthday girl had a fabulous day, though.
ReplyDelete