After listening to Sydney complain that my music is "too loud" only when Phantom of the Opera or Jesus Christ Superstar or Evita are on, I had to conclude that she just doesn't like Andrew Lloyd Webber. In fact, the last time she complained during Evita, I actually said to her, "You just don't like Andrew Lloyd Webber." She repeated, "I can't like Ers Webbers."
On the one hand, I can completely understand where she is coming from as a toddler... Lord Webber's music is very intense and complex and her little ears just may not be ready for the full Andrew Lloyd Webber experience. I know she likes Rodgers and Hammerstein from her love for The Sound of Music, and frankly, their music is simpler and easier to listen to. On the other hand, it seems sad to give up on such great music without giving it more of a chance.
So, our compromise has been watching Any Dream Will Do on the BBC. It's a reality show like American Idol, only the winner gets to be Joseph in Lord Webber's Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. The guys sing all kinds of music, including some from the show, but Joseph is a little less intense than say, Phantom and the other songs range from pop hits to songs from other Broadway shows. The best part, though, is that Lord Webber himself is one of the judges and she has a face to put with the name. Mostly, she likes the show a lot. I mean, she hates all the parts where they interview the guys and talk about their performances, but she loves all the singing numbers and the clapping.
At the end of the day, she really just may not like Andrew Lloyd Webber's music. But I am determined that she be well educated before making her final decision.
Music appreciation for toddlers, much as I did for the boys! Wonder if she will be able to distinguish between Eddie Van Halen and Stevie Ray Vaughn when she is 16? I will have to make sure that she can....
ReplyDeletehas she listened to 'Hair' yet?
ReplyDeleteShe has not listened to Hair... so I can't say if she would like it or not. I do feel that it's my job to help her learn the difference between Andrew Lloyd Webber and Rogers & Hammerstein or Peter, Paul, and Mary vs. Simon and Garfunkle. The Van Halen vs. Stevie Ray I leave to you!
ReplyDeleteRipe strawberries! Ripe!
ReplyDeleteGeorgetown, next 5 exits! Georgetown!
ReplyDelete