He's a sweetheart. He's thoughtful and kind. He's smart and clever with a very dry wit. He's funny and tells great stories. He loves his family and would do anything for them.
He also hates having to stop what's he's doing to actually call, write, send e-mails, smoke signals, etc.
So when we actually got him to Texas from Japan, even though the circumstances were rough, we didn't want to lose any time at all.
Or any opportunities for pictures.

The thing I love about Nolen men (and this includes Uncle Jonathan, Uncle James, Grandpa Nolen and Jeremy) is that they may think a thing is silly...
like taking tons of pictures, for example
...but if a Nolen woman asks, they'll do it just because she asked.
Even if they mumble about how silly it was along the way.

Sydney has been learning a lot about her dad's family lately. She has mastered the relationships between her dad and uncles well. She tells us that Uncle James was Dad's brother, but that everyone is sad because he died. She will tell us that Uncle Jonathan is also Dad's brother, kind of like Jack is her brother. She also tells us that means that Uncle Jonathan is kind of like her brother. She also defends her uncle's name... if I slip and call him "Jon" she tells me, "Ack-ally, Mommy, it's Uncle Jonathan." So there. She has also said that he's her best friend, which I thought was sweet.
Before Uncle Jonathan went back to Japan, we drove out to have dinner in Bastrop (which is halfway-ish between us... see Jonathan and Jeremy thought it was silly for either of them to drive all the way to Houston or Austin, so I said we'll meet in Bastrop and just because I asked, they did it).I was so grateful to have the one last dinner with Uncle Jonathan. The biggest lesson I have learned from the loss of James is to take every available opportunity to connect with the ones you love. Drive an hour or two out of your way, e-mail even when no one responds, call and then call again.
Because even though she was only three when he died, Sydney has many great memories to hold on to for her Uncle James and I know that's because we (and he) always went out of our way for each other.
So I hope Uncle Jonathan is prepared because we're ready to go out of our way for him, too.
It was absolutely worth driving to Bastrop on a work night, even though I was on call and had to stop 4 times and resolve computer problems on our way. We had a very sweet and tolerant grandma for our waitress, and it was the best roadside diner meal I have ever had! And yes, we will always go out of our way and make the time.
ReplyDelete