Saturday, April 3, 2010

Egg Hunting with the Hazens

Last Saturday, we had the Hazen's over to hunt Easter eggs in the backyard. I always enjoy sharing holidays with Kara. We both have large extended families, but most of our people are in Houston, so when neither of us is traveling for the holidays, we like to hang out in town with each other.

This year, the egg hunt only had three participants... Sydney, Peter and Jack. Danielle was too little to hunt eggs, though she did enjoy the new experience of being all snuggly in a MobyWrap. We waited the egg hunt until the evening, after the two older kids had their afternoon naps. I was skeptical about an evening eggs hunt, but the kids were all in good rested moods and that always makes for a better experience.

I love any excuse to hide more eggs and for this egg hunt, we were able to hunt real eggs and then once the kids were off playing, Jeremy took all of the children's eggs inside and made deviled eggs. We left a handful of plastic eggs in each basket to mask the egg thievery and at this age, they didn't notice a thing.

The kids played outside for quite a while after the egg hunt and Kara and I got to visit some while the kids were entertaining each other. Kara's one of my only friends in the area who has two kids even younger than mine and when I think about how hard it is to get out of the house with my own two some days, I am amazed that we ever see each other as we try to plan events around the schedules of four young children. Then I think about the age gaps of the kids, and realize that if Jack were just a few months older, it would possible for all four of them to be siblings and then I'm just in awe of any woman who has more than two under the age of five at any one time.

Then I'm grateful that Kara and I do have each other and we can get together and do things like let our kids hunt eggs together. Even if we have to wait until after nap time to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment