Saturday, April 10, 2010

Robin Hood

We had so much fun at Alice in Wonderland that we went back for the Scottish Rite Theater's next show, Robin Hood.

One of the things that Sydney is learning to do that is really fun for me is reflect on experiences. After an event or outing, we talk about what our favorite parts were and she able to really explain what she liked about a thing.

Her favorite part was when Maid Marian was in Time-Out. It was actually called "permanent time out" in the show. That's one of the things I love about this theater. Everything is kid-oriented. Marian was not locked in a tower, she was put in time out. Sydney actually missed an entire scene on the stage because she kept looking back at the balcony where Maid Marian was. Sydney would wave at her and she would wave back.

Jeremy's favorite part was when Robin Hood wrestled a bear. He also liked all of the humor in the sheriff's character... from the parody of the "friends, Romans, countrymen" speech to the turning the evil theme music into a cell phone ring so that every time he did something evil and the theme music played, he answered his phone.

Sydney's other favorite part was when the king was lost. King Richard came out at the beginning, gave the audience their directions and then left for vacation. Maid Marion told the kids that her uncle is terrible with directions and had forgotten his compass, so she taught the kids the cardinal directions and every so often, in between scenes, King Richard would wander through and ask the kids to point north or east or whatever. I liked that King Richard was played by the same actor as the Mad Hatter. Sydney hasn't noticed, yet, that the same actors are appearing in different roles and I wonder when that will occur to her.

My favorite part, though, was the archery contest. I knew I didn't stand a chance... Robin Hood is the best archer in the land, of course, but I thought I would at least do better than the six year old who also got pulled from the audience.

But no, my arrow didn't even make the target. I did inadvertently shoot the sheriff's evil henchman, though. So that was neat.

3 comments:

  1. What a great experience for Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Sydney? Oh, yeah, I guess she liked it, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you accidentally shot the evil henchman. That's actually better than hitting the target, I think.

    ReplyDelete