So on Sunday as we were driving out to El Campo to see Great-Grandma and Great-Grandpa Nolen, Sydney was asking who would be there. I was trying to explain it and finally something I said prompted her to ask, "Only Nolens can go there?"
Well, no. I explained that Great-Grandma Nolen would never say that. In fact, I think two different kids who are not related to anyone in the family came by while we were there and called Sydney's grandparents by the names "grandma" and "grandpa" and were told they couldn't come play that day because the grandkids were there. The implication was that they should try back tomorrow.
But I did tell Sydney about all the Nolens who would be gathering that day. When we pulled up to the house and I let Sydney out, she knocked on the door and said, "Are there any Nolens here?"
Because of the open nature of the El Campo Nolen home, there are lots of things for kids to play with there despite the closest blood relative under the age of twelve being three hours away.Sydney, Will, and Jack all enjoyed the swing set and the hammock. I am trying to convince Jeremy that I need a hammock. He says they are dangerous for someone as clumsy as I am. I showed him how I could get in a out of the one Grandma Nolen has and he said, "Uh, huh" and walked away with a skeptical look on his face.
Sydney and Jack also enjoyed the kiddie pool that Grandpa keeps on hand for just this sort of emergency.
Back in the house, we got to listen to Uncle Ken sing for us. He sang a funny song called "Dear Abby" and then a sweet song he wrote for Rachel and James called "Love You Same" which is what they would say to each other. Sydney then taught him the "Sydney Marie" song. He said it sounded suspiciously like it was written to the tune of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star."
I love this picture of the great grandkids with Great-Grandma and Great-Grandpa Nolen. Will has the new toy that Grandma bought for him (the other kids got new toys, too, of course), and Sydney is eating and the Nolens are known for their great cooking. So really, this picture, from the toy to the roll to the comfy embrace of great grandparents is what going to El Campo is all about.
Well, all that, plus there are Nolens there.
One question I have to ask...in that picture in the pool, the hose is in her left hand, right?
ReplyDeleteYes.
ReplyDelete