Turns out that the modern crib does indeed have multiple height settings. This seems to be so that you can have the crib high up when the baby is little, allowing you to reach the sleeping infant and low to the ground for when your little one is a big toddler, standing up, and starting to climb.
Consider this a public service announcement. Cribs can be adjusted. When your baby is pulling up, start thinking about lowering that mattress. When they are walking around and climbing, you really should have it lowered.
Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT wait for the telltale THUD at ten o'clock at night. It just causes panic.
Sydney, by the way, is fine, and her crib was adjusted at ten thirty last night.
Also, this is why parents should have good communication: I knew she was getting close to going over the edge, but thought the crib was on it's lowest setting; Jeremy knew it could be lowered, but did not realize that she was close to being able to scale the side. If only we talked more....
P.S. Debralynn -- since you made the comment a good four or five months ago that it looked like she was pulling up and maybe we should check the crib to see if it could be lowered, props to you, and thanks in advance for swallowing the "I told you so." : )
I'm glad she's safe. That must have been scary for y'all. Also, thanks for the PSA, because the one thing that I've been worried about with a crib is that Pip will use his spelunking skills overzealously.
ReplyDeleteThe reason DebraLynn knew to tell you about lowering the crib is because a horror story I tell about her standing up waisting to the top of crib and was walking around the edges of the crib. Well, that and her jumping twice and then flipping out of the crib to escape in the mornings. Good thing babies are flexible. I am very glad she is safe. ;-)
ReplyDelete