Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A Trip to the Zoo

Subtitle: It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time


This is actually a story from Spring Break, but with all the Easter craziness, I haven't had a chance to post it before now.



Sydney and I decided to go to the zoo with our cousins on Good Friday.



It seems like an innocent enough statement, doesn't it?

Turns out that going to the zoo on Good Friday is THE thing to do. I could not believe the crowds. In the words of Wadsworth the Butler, "to make a long story short (too late)," it took us over an hour to find a parking space. In fact, I had called my cousin Danielle to give the abort and while on the phone with her (she and her family had already made it into the zoo, which is why we were even bothering), her amazing and reMarkable husband (Mark) offered to meet me at the entrance, let and Sydney get out, and HE would park the car... turns out the zoo has two entrances... but I promised to make this the short version.

Anyway, we FINALLY made it into the zoo and rendezvoused (that's ron de vood if you don't spell French) with everyone.




And that's when I found out that Sydney isn't really an animal person as much as she is a plant person.


Sydney finding leaves on trees (while everyone else looks at the monkeys).


Sydney finding leaves on the ground (there are actually giraffes on the other side of that fence -- she never even looked at them).


Danielle's son is planning on being a zoologist when he grows up (it was his plan to bring a chair to the zoo so he could REALLY watch the animals). Sydney, I think, may be a botanist. So maybe they will work in a lab somewhere together studying paleozoic plants and animals and then an old man will come up with an idea to open an amusement park using DNA stored in amber... Never mind, that can't end well.

This adventure, however, did end well with a fun afternoon with our cousins and a chance to end our Spring Break with a memorable trip to the zoo. We'll call that a win.

2 comments:

  1. When she gets to be four or so, maybe she can plant bulbs since she likes plants so much. They are really low-maintenance and easy to plant, and it's "real" grown-up gardening. Her Pippi Longstocking look is awesome, especially with the earth-mother-in-training action stills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she may well have her own garden. There are two planter boxes in the backyard (left by the prior owners of the house) and I keep wondering what Sydney will put in them... since we've lived her for what three or four years and all we've grown in them is weeds. :)

    I'll make sure to call you, though, when we reach the actual planting since I'm as likely to hand her some apple seeds and say "good luck" as anything else... just kidding. I would ask the guy at Home Depot. The commercial says he's helpful.

    ReplyDelete