Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Open House

Today was the Open House Ice Cream Social at the kids' new school. I have been so happy with their new day care. On the one hand, I wish Jack had been able to stay at Libby's longer -- I think home care is the way to go with the under two crowd. On the other hand, I like this place so much for Sydney and like the fact that the two of them are still together so much that it's worth the trade off to me.

The two ladies who run the day care are like grandmas to all of the kids and I like the combination of the structure -- an open house night at a day care? -- and the carefree attitude of folks who know small children and know that planning too much is a mistake.

The Open House, for example, was really just ice cream, a face painting clown, and a bounce house... not too much, but enough to feel special. Meanwhile, all of the teachers stood around and you could talk to them if you wanted to.

Sydney's teacher is new and hasn't really mastered the fine art of telling parents something special about their kid so all I can really say is that Sydney is no trouble and is doing fine.

The real lesson at Open House was learning what Sydney likes to do all day, which seems to be riding trikes.

I also got to see her hair all braided because while her teacher may not have had much to say, I know that Sydney likes her and she cares about Sydney because they played beauty shop today. Sydney doesn't particularly like having her hair done, so she must really like her teacher to sit still for that and it was really sweet of her teacher to have my daughter's hair all nice a pretty for Open House when I know that most days it slips out of the pony tails I put it in -- especially when a nap is involved.

Mostly, it was neat to see all of the kids at Sydney's school with their parents and have a fun evening playing at the school with our family.

2 comments:

  1. That's really cool that they do an open house. Looks like both kids are going to do really well there!

    ReplyDelete