Saturday, September 18, 2010

Movie Night and Dress-Up

One of the things we have been doing lately is a Family Movie Night on Saturday nights. It started with Monsters Inc. and has gone on to include Beauty and the Beast, The Great Mouse Detective, American Tail, and now Cinderella.

We like it because Sydney's not a big fan of movie theaters and Jack is too little, so going out to a movie involves childcare for Jack, plus tickets for me, Jeremy, and Sydney. Buying a movie off of Amazon is much cheaper.

(Before the movie, Sydney and I decided to play a little dress up, so Sydney decided to be a princess teacher.)

Now that Sydney has asked for princess things, we are slowing introducing the movies. Beauty and the Beast was first and now Cinderella. We'll do Snow White some time in the next few months and then take a halt for a while. She is asking for Sleeping Beauty and I finally just told her that her dad and I don't like it and we won't be watching it.

Jeremy and I both enjoyed the re-watch of Cinderella since it had been years since either of us had seen it. We spent a lot of the movie talking about how mean the step sisters and step mother were (although I was careful to explain that not all "steps" are mean) and Sydney was genuinely appalled at some of their actions. We just reiterated that some people are mean -- even to their own family -- and that all we can do is be as kind as we know how to be. It seemed the best lesson to draw from the movie.

We also had our own fairy godmother moment as before the movie we were dressing up and Sydney wanted a hat to go with her princess outfit and I remembered that my friend Jerri had messaged me on Facebook letting me know she would be dropping off some stuff, including dress up hats, and so I opened the front door and there they were -- all of these fabulous hats, including an actual princess hat...

... sized just right for a mama. And I am totally wearing that hat Sydney has on to school on the Mad Hatter's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment