Saturday, February 5, 2011

My Photogenic Girl

Sydney has been really good about taking pictures lately. I found out after the latest round that she had gotten it into her head that being a good photography subject would earn her stickers on her chore chart.

I figured why not.

Anyway, the latest round are her in her new favorite outfit -- one that she has assembled all on her own and for the first time, the outfit only works as an ensemble. She requests it on a daily basis and this also marks her first true preference in what she wears. She also has taken lately to wanting to wear only dresses, which is a complete opposite from myself as a girl, so it's interesting to me.
I was reading an article recently about how four year olds are newly aware of gender and look for external signifyers of gender. The article was actually about the princess phenomenon, but it made me wonder if my rough and tumble girl might feel freer to act in "boyish" ways while wearing clothing that clearly mark her as a "girl."

Regardless of the logic of it all, suffice to say that dresses make her happy, and her orange striped dress, with the red jacket and boots make her very, very happy.

Because the dress and jacket turn her into Firegirl, and the boots turn her into Rocketgirl. And so all three together, obviously, allow her to be Fire Rocket Girl.

4 comments:

  1. I noticed the new profile pic on the side yesterday and loved it then. So stickers on chore chart? Does that mean she doesn't have to do some chores in exchange for letting you take pictures? Sounds reasonable to me; I'm mostly just wondering how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome. I love that she not only has great taste, but that her beautiful red and orange outfit makes her Fire Rocket Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chore chart has boxes for stickers -- eight for small toys and up to 15 for large toys. I go shopping and buy toys in advance and put them in the china cabinet. Mostly, she earns for small toys... $5 range and just shops the china cabinet. For larger toys, I put a picture of the toy ($10-$15 range) on the chart since it takes longer to earn and she needs the added incentive. It works out to about a 75 cent per day "allowance" (assuming she cleans up toys without arguing) and it's the equivalent of paying her three quarters for doing a photo shoot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, that's cool. Thanks for the explanation.

    ReplyDelete