
One of the things that our church does that I really love is Children's Sunday. On that day, the children -- aged three or so on up to fifth grade -- perform all of the worship actions normally taken by the adults. Some kids read the announcements, the joys and concerns, and even the liturgy. The kids also read something, in the case of this year, a series of scripture, poems or stories, and famous quotations about different virtues, that stand in for the sermon. The younger kids, like Sydney, are the ushers.
Being an usher is exciting in the sense that you get to hand out bulletins and say "good morning" to everyone.

It is also exciting in that you get to be on the look-out for more parishioners.

The best part of being the usher, though, is the passing of the offertory plate. We had to practice at home, which led to a funny moment where Jack went and got his own plate, thinking that Sydney and Jeremy and I were playing a famous new game. Then at church, Sydney had to really focus so as not to spill any of the envelopes. When she finished, she was so proud of herself and excited by the great job she had been entrusted with, she turned and gave me a "thumbs up" for herself.

(This is the recreation of the moment -- I wasn't actually taking pictures during worship.)

One day, I hope that Sydney will be a worship leader, of some sort, whether in her own home or during an organized church service. I love that our children's director is helping to empower Sydney to be that sort of leader from such a very young age.
No comments:
Post a Comment