Thursday, February 3, 2011

When Animals Go to School

Last night, Sydney was playing “school” with her animals.This meant that all of the baby animals went to school and the adult animals became the teachers.

Her own day care is set up in an old house with different teachers in different rooms and so I got out the Calico Critter's dollhouse and helped her label the rooms with the teachers' names.

Mostly, the game involved asking all of the baby animals who their teacher was; the teachers talking about combining classes at the end of the day and then waiting for the parents to come get the babies, but in between, I could hear very sweet dialogue between teachers and students – proof that her day care is a happy place for a little girl.

This is the pre-K class where all of the animals wound up at the end -- I guess even Sydney can tell that growing up and going on to the next class is the goal of school.

I distinctly remember playing school with my stuffed animals.... lining them all up in height order, debating over whether the rabbits' ears should count in determining their height, and then asking them all sorts of questions as part of some school routine. I find it neat that Sydney is playing some of the same sorts of make-believe games.

2 comments:

  1. Did the rabbit eat height count? I don't think it would have for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It counted (or not) depending on whether they held their ears up or not. :)

    ReplyDelete