This Christmas season has been so much busier than I am used to. I think I left more to the last minute than I meant to and school is in session through the 21st, which means that we leave from school to go see family and then back from seeing family right into Christmas Eve. My vacation time doesn't really start until after Christmas in a lot of ways.
A lot of the events I wanted to go to we missed, either through our weekend of illness, or being overwhelmed by all of the items on the "to do" list, or just because it seemed nicer to stay in and do less.
What we did do a lot of was crafting. Sydney helped me make a lot of ornaments and I found some of her creations to be really pretty, and not just in the "my kid made this" way.
We made salt dough ornaments (2 cups flour, 1 cup salt, 3/4 cups water, mix, roll out, cut with cookie cutters, and then bake at 350 for a while -- paint when hard and dry).
Sydney was also old enough to do the crystal melt ornaments. I used to have an oven (think "Easy Bake" only for crafts - even as a kid, my oven did projects, not pastries) that I made these in and I loved it a lot.
She also helped me make some filled ornaments. Basically, I bought some clear plastic bulb ornaments and then asked the questions, "What can we stuff in these?" and "Will a funnel help?"
Then, on Saturday, we invited the Hazens and Shelbys to join us for a final craft day. We missed out on going to the Scottish Rite Theater, but it was so much fun to just hang out with friends.
I think all of the craft projects may have contributed to the rush of the season -- it was a lot of prep and clean up and just time, but I am so glad to have so many handmade ornaments from the kids this year.








No comments:
Post a Comment