Friday, March 16, 2012

Lazy Eyes

Sydney and I went back to Southwestern today.  She rode her bike some more and I read.  The new news of the day, though, is my (sort of) new glasses.

I had a pair of readers from 2005 when I last went to the eye doctor.  He prescribed them because I was getting headaches after a long day of working on data stuff in Excel or grading papers, or reading.

Then I moved to Kindergarten where the print is bigger, the papers get smiley faces, and there is no Excel data mining.  I stopped getting headaches and I stopped using the readers.

I also stopped reading.  For the past five years, I really haven't read at all.  Having two kids means reading in 10-15 minute spurts and I hate that.  Then for Christmas I got Jeremy's Kindle and started taking it to the gym and suddenly, the headaches were back.

I went ahead and went back to the eye doctor.  I still have 20/20 vision.  My eyes are just lazy.  The muscles are weak and trying to focus on small print or a computer screen wears out those muscles and the glasses should help.

Oh, and he told me to hold a pencil away from my eyes and practice focusing on it as I bring it in closer.  He called it "pencil push-ups."  My final take away though was that I need glasses to exercise.

I feel like I may be going into Witness Protection... new hair, glasses, all the weight loss.  It's a whole new me.  But I still hang out at my alma mater.

The best part was that glasses the doctor wanted me to use are the same pair he sold me in 2005... and I still knew where to find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment