Today, on our way to a South Austin adventure, we went to the Monument cafe. The kids and I had already done some pictures at the church with their Easter outfits and the picture taking had gone so well that I wanted to offer them a little something extra and so I promised them one of Monument's phenomenal chocolate chip cookies. It turned out, though, that they now sell them in their market for $2.95 per half dozen. The price was very reasonable for such big and delicious cookies, but no one needs a half dozen of them. The children split one and were quite satisfied. I literally had one bite and could feel the sugar rush. So what to do with the other five cookies?
I would love to have saved them for later but know myself too well and understood that just having them around was too much temptation. So I we took them to the local fire station and offered them to the three firemen who were on duty for the day.
As luck would have it, the exact cost for a tour of the firetruck is precisely five cookies!
It was a completely random thing to do and the kids and I had a blast. Sydney got to review her fire escape plan and emergency contact information for the firemen and John, once he warmed up, had a great time on the truck.
I think the three firemen, sitting around during the March wet season appreciated the distraction of giving a tour as much as the cookies. As the one guy said, "We get paid for what we're willing to do, not what we actually do each day." I thought that was a great way to express it and we told them that we so appreciated what they are willing to do every day.
But when we said good-bye, we told them that we hope they never come to our house!
No comments:
Post a Comment