I have been gathering dress up items for Sydney as I come across them. Hats and purses from Target's Dollar Spot, feather boas from a going out of business sale, an apron from a garage sale, leis from the dollar store - they are all at the top of Sydney's closet, waiting.
Waiting for what, I have not decided. I started collecting these things because I realized that buying an entire trunk full of dress up things in a single shopping trip was both unrealistic in terms of what you find at what time of the year, and impractical in dollar amounts (Jeremy could care less about spending ten dollars a month of random dress up things from now until Sydney is twelve, but will balk totally and spending a hundred or more in a single sitting).
I think that dress up is really a three year old event. At least that was the age I was really picturing sitting around a small table, drinking tea while wearing a silly hat, feather boas, and smeared lip stick. But Sydney is already going through my closet and her own, looking for things to put on. Granted, she needs help getting any of it (including the hat) on and she looses interest very quickly (less than five minutes). But it has me wondering....
At what age do kids really get into dress up? Is it better to let her have the items as I find them, or is there some reason to wait until, say a birthday, to give her all the items at once in a nice truck as a big gift?
You could always let her have a few items now, and still save up a trunk full for a nice gift. Looks like you won't be waiting for her 4th b-day though!
ReplyDeleteYeah, I think she'll be ready for a whole trunk before that 4th birthday. For now, I have let her have a couple of hats and a pair of my old house shoes. That seems to be more than enough for her current attention span. : )
ReplyDeleteYay for dress-up! I wonder if Pip is going to try to dress up like Mr. Darcy and/or Batman, or if he'll have some other interests. Dress-up is so much less socially ambiguous with girls, but it's just too fun to not offer little boys, too.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad Sydney is enjoying her first forays into the field. Don't forget beads for the trunk (once she's old enough not to mistake them for candy and swallow them- which maybe she already is, since she didn't eat the gravel from her Easter eggs).
Oh, yes, we have beads and leis, sunglasses and gloves. But for now, at least, the beads and leis are indeed choking hazards, the sunglasses too easily broken, and the gloves too hard to put on (and therefore very frustrating).
ReplyDelete