Sunday, May 11, 2008

Final Verdict: Fisher Price Innocent of Actual Wrong-Doing

After really being on the lookout for possible racism, and having others doing the same, I've decided that the high incidence of Fisher Price Little People of color in blue collar job uniforms is the result of a) Fisher Price making a lot of blue collar workers and b) a small data set. In other words, in looking at more sets, I have found more Little People of color in everyday clothes, which is really what I wanted anyway. In fact, it turns out that the bus, which we own, comes with a African Little Person who is just an average Joe, only we lost him. So, really, we owe Fisher Price an apology for sounding the racism alarm a bit prematurely, it turns out. In light of that, I have deleted the previous post, lest anyone find our blog via Goggle or something and think that we still have a problem with the company. Our apologies, Fisher Price, you are indeed setting the example of diversity that I wanted my daughter to have in her life after all.

Here's the bus, by the way, with the missing African character. I do wonder where Sydney put him....

And finally, if you find an Asian boy Little People, let me know. I still haven't found any sets with them in it.

4 comments:

  1. I'm very glad to hear that FP has been exonerated! Will be keeping my eyes open for Little People of color and in non-traditional roles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I emailed it to you, but there is a set with an asian little boy. It's a set that's only available from their website and is called Little People® Families In Your Neighborhood.

    http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2053&e=product&pid=32209

    ReplyDelete