Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Sydney and the MAW

This is what I have been hearing lately:

"Eat the trees, Maw!"

"C'mere Maw."

"Go in the waters, Maw!"

"Eat the yums, Maw!"

None of these phrases made a whole lot of sense to me at first, but I finally understood that Maw is the big purple blob on the TV screen and that he is the subject of Jeremy's latest video game. And Sydney is hooked.

For the last few nights, Sydney and her daddy have been playing Maw one chapter at a time and Sydney just loves telling Maw what to do (actually, she just loves telling everyone what to do, but that's a subject for another post). Maw apparently has a single talent: eating. The game is therefore easy for Sydney to follow and has very colorful, yet simple graphics that she can get into.

I know she's going to be a video game girl. There's no way around it. I still play PC games weekly if not daily and I check my e-mail and blog in front of her all the time. Jeremy plays his XBox every night and surfs the 'net every day. More than any other activity, it's what she's sees us doing. Part of me wishes that she saw more reading, or sewing or gourmet cooking, or some other really awesomely wholesome thing, but Jeremy and I are both computer people and that's life. So when she tries to emulate us, one of the ways she's going to do that is to turn to computer and consol games. My only hope (without making changes to mine and Jeremy's lives that I'm not sure we want to live with) is to limit her time with them and help her make good choices about their content. So, I can't say I'm thrilled that my toddler has gotten hooked on her daddy's latest video game, but I also can't say I'm the least bit surprised. I can say, though, as a trial run, it's worked out very well: the content was unoffensive and a little funny and she did well with the whole "no more Maw tonight" limit setting. And she had some really great quality time with her daddy.



P.S. If you look closely at the picture, you can see that Sydney's toes and Jeremy's toes are curled in almost exactly the same way. :)

3 comments:

  1. We can switch. Ya'll come have adventures and we will take Sydney. We would totally be getting the better end on the deal on that one. :) We are way jealous of you guys and your too perfect child. We are afraid that our child will turn out to be a brat. :( you guys will have to help make sure that doesn't happen.

    Have fun,

    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, when you put it that way... you are right. I would much rather be here with Sydney. I guess what I'm actually jealous of is the idea that you guys are getting to have all these adventures before coming home and having your own perfect baby to love and enjoy. Your child will definitely not be a brat -- your wife doesn't have any patience with brattiness and the only way to breed a brat is to put up with one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. keep in mind that Sydney's uncle Jon became fluent at reading, by playing the original Quest for Glory PC game, where you had to read paragraphs to play the game! He turned out OK.... ;)

    ReplyDelete