Here's Sydney with her book. She's very happy that she read with her mama! I read the left hand pages which said things like "Is he behind the door?"
She read the right hand pages with the flaps, which all said, "no."
But when she came to this one, which actually has the word no three times (the flap is hiding one of them), she pointed to each "no" and read the word three times.I had a great conversation with Kara (who used to teach Kindergarten with me) about our kids and intelligence this past Saturday. The gist of the conversation was this: are our kids really super smart, or do all kids do these things and we just don't know 'cause they aren't our kids, or do we notice more because we work in early childhood education, or are we (unfairly) comparing our children with the lowest of low kindergartners (who may or may not have ever been read to and may or may not have learning disabilities, and most importantly, who may or may not have more basic survival on their minds with neglectful parents at home and can't devote the mental power to things like reading).
I'm sure, like most things, it's a little bit of everything. Sydney (and Kara's son, and the kids of everyone I personally am friends with) seem like smart kids to me, each in their own way. I'm sure other toddlers can point to a word on a page once the word has been given to them. But I'm not sure a mama who isn't in early childhood education would think to ask her toddler to do such a thing, and having done it, would have fancy words like "one to one correspondence" to go with the action. But mostly, I think kids in general are amazingly intelligent creatures and if all of my students had all of the things Sydney was born into, they would also be able to do all of the things my sweet daughter can do, maybe not by two and half (because I do think she's a little advanced in her pre-reading skills), but certainly well before starting Kindergarten.
Another thing that families like yours and our other friends bring to their children's lives is that sense that reading or math or writing is so incredibly SPECIAL. I think that we shape our children's academic lives because of the value that we attach to education. Plus, by sharing books with our children daily at a young age, reading becomes part of their very being. Breathing, eating, reading - they are all required for life, right? I still can't go to bed without reading . . . .
ReplyDeleteI think you are right. Sydney probably doesn't remember a time when she wasn't read to...if there was a time, that is.
ReplyDeleteDo you recognize the book, by the way?
Where's Spot? - of course I recognize it! One of the reasons I often give that book to babies is due to the warm memories I have of reading that book to both of my children when they small. We read it and we read it and we read it . . . and I still like it. And that's how I can tell a book is really, really good - if I've read it 6 or 8 times over a few days and I still enjoy it, then it's a quality book!
ReplyDeleteThis post was both affirming and humbling. I think we definitely see a lot of Michael's strengths because we are looking for them, and part of that is because of our position of remarkable privilege. It's cool that he loves the things we love (music, books, rowdiness), like Sydney loves reading.
ReplyDeleteWay to go to her for reading "No." I remember specifically that I couldn't read that word till kindergarten or just before.