Saturday, October 31, 2009

In Spanish

I love, love, love the process of language acquisition. It fascinates me.

Sydney is listening to speech all around her and trying to sort out the individual words from the sentences and then attempting to use the words in their correct context while forming sentences of her own.

Most of the time, she does a beautiful job. But every so often, she lacks the requisite background knowledge to complete the context.

Hence her use of the phrase, "in Spanish."

Consider first, how we use it:

"You can say 'cheese' or you can say 'queso' in Spanish."

"He said, 'green' but then she said, 'verde.' 'Verde' must be how you say 'green' in Spanish."


Here's her usage:

"I don't want to wear my brown shoes, I want to wear my purple crocs, in Spanish."

"I don't want to go inside, I want to play in my backyard, in Spanish."



If only the word "Spanish" meant "stead" in English.

No comments:

Post a Comment