Friday, October 2, 2009

You can't take Mac n Cheese to Church

Do you remember the scene in Pollyanna where everyone is getting ready for the Bazaar?

The Nolen house felt a little like that this week.

I was making crinkly taggie squares for the craft sale and Jeremy was making pies. Last night was the deadline and both of us were very focused on finishing. We even designated the TV as babysitter for one of the first times ever and just let Sydney watch WordWorld on repeat.

In between episodes, Sydney would emerge from the playroom and ask her daddy or me to play with her and we would explain that mama's making taggie squares for the church and dada's making pies for the church. On the one hand, I felt bad that we were ignoring her, but on the other hand, I know we never do that and I was pleased that she was seeing her parents giving their gifts and talents to our church.

We also went through the books and gathered some to donate to the used book booth and Jeremy had gone to WalMart and bought car washing supplies to make into a silent auction basket.

As the evening was winding down, Jeremy was making a mac n' cheese dinner for Sydney and Sydney asked if we could take mac n' cheese to church. Jeremy told her that (of course) we couldn't. It's too messy.

Silly girl.

It wasn't until today when we were talking about Harvest Fest and Sydney remembered the taggie squares and pies and then added, "But we can't take mac n' cheese to church" that I realized her meaning.

We had spent all evening making things for church and then we made mac 'n cheese. Of course! The mac n' cheese could also be a donation. After all, the church seems to accept pies and baby toys.

I love Sydney logic.

4 comments:

  1. I'm confused. I guess because I too was using the same logic as Sydney? How is Mac-N-Cheese too messy? What else would you take it to church for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sydney logic is simple and literal. It appeals to the kid in me lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. She takes goldfish to eat in the pew on Sunday mornings... it's one of the ways that we got a two year old to sit still for an hour every Sunday morning. Some Sundays, she takes Cheerios. I thought she was asking for the mac n' cheese as a finger snack for during the service.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaahhh. Thank you for the clarification. That would definitely be too messy for a church pew snack.

    ReplyDelete