Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day

For Father's Day, Kara gave me the idea of buying a book for Jeremy to share with the kids as a Father's Day gift. I chose the same one she did, The Daddy Book by Todd Parr (we might have been shopping together).

It's cute, with kid-drawn type illustrations and each page has something that either it says some daddies do (like play tea party or take pictures of you) or things it says all daddies do (love you, want to try new things with you).

To make sure the gift was meaningful to Sydney, I preread it with her, talked about the ideas, and then wrote in the inscription some things she said her daddy does with her (wash cars with her, take her to the pool and the grocery store).

Someone (probably Kara) asked if I really thought Sydney could hold on to the secret. I said, "No, but Jeremy will think it's cute rather than irritating if she does tell him in advance. Surprises aren't a big deal to him."

It's a good thing, too.

Two days before Father's Day, here's the conversation in the car.

Sydney: Hey dad, there's a book.

Jeremy: What book are you talking about you?

Sydney: The book that we got you.

Jeremy: You got me a book?

Sydney: It's the book that's a surprise for you. Mom said we shouldn't tell you about it.

Jeremy: Oh, well then you shouldn't tell me about it.

Sydney: That's right. We can't tell you about it.

I put it in Sydney's room in the morning on Father's Day and Jeremy read it to her and Jack before church.

After church, we went to Home Depot in search of projects to do for Father's Day, as well as Jeremy's Father's Day gift to himself.

We wound up having to go to Michael's to find what Sydney really wanted: a bird house to paint. She chose one in the shape of a rocketship (she is very into Buzz Lightyear and all the Toy Story characters right now).

And Jeremy's gift to himself? A new lawnmower.

Yeah, I don't get it either. But he did let me get rainboots for Mother's Day and I know he didn't get that.

1 comment:

  1. You two are such a great balance for each and for your kids. And that secret story is just funny.

    ReplyDelete