Sunday, January 30, 2011

What to do with a lazy Sunday afternoon

Sydney loves going up to my classroom on the weekends. In fact, if you just ask her open endedly what she wants to do after church, she will, nine times out of ten, tell you, "go up to mama's school."

She was playing for so long today, that I wound up calling Jeremy to see if he and Jack would like to come up and join us.

It's really neat to see her playing with all of the toys that my students play with and see the ways in which she plays the same as them, and the ways in which she plays differently. In general, mostly she does what the kids do, but I have noticed that she is freer to play with the blocks and cars, which most of my girls don't, that she talks more with her toys, and that she makes up stories about parent/child pairs where most of my students pretend that two things are friends. How much of the differences are just that she is playing by herself and how much is age and how much is personality or intelligence, I don't know, but it's neat to observe.

1 comment:

  1. It's because she's smarter. How cool that Sydney likes to play in your classroom. I imagine that is an affirming feeling, that one of the children you know and love best (Jack is the other) likes how you have structured the place where you teach.

    ReplyDelete