Monday, June 23, 2008

Embracing the 50's... in a good way, I hope


I'm not sure exactly what to say about this picture. On the one hand, I hope everyone notices the cute aprons that I made for Sydney and me using old dish towels. On the other hand, those who know me are probably too shocked to see me actually working in the kitchen to notice much else. After over six months of being on strike from doing the dishes (yes, six months ago, after the dishwasher stopped removing anything but dust from dishes, I went on strike and my loving husband said to me: "How is this going to change anything, exactly?") In any case, I finally decided that a) I wanted more of Jeremy's time than I wanted to not be doing the dishes, and b) as my cousin Danielle pointed out, having fun with Sydney all summer long is well and good, but it doesn't really give her a good sense of how real people live. Real people, according to my cousin and other friends and family whom I have polled, have to do housework. At least occasionally. So, I offered to take over the dishes if Jeremy would agree to using paper plates. Jeremy counter offered with a new dishwasher, which arrives this Wednesday. Who knew the man hated paper plates so very much? Perhaps I should have tried that approach six months ago.

In trying to embrace my new role in our household without visions of Cinderella or Orphan Annie ("It's a Hard Knock Life for Us", anyone?) I bought new kitchen accessories and combined my new found sewing hobby with my new found household usefulness and made aprons. We'll see how it goes. Just for the record, though, I did do the dishes last night and tonight, but Jeremy put them away and cleaned counters. Can I help that he just moves faster than I do?

11 comments:

  1. A little follow up: if you turn all of your dish towels into cute aprons, you will have a hard time hand washing (drying really) dishes while you wait for the new dishwasher to arrive. FYI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, Cute!!! I immediately honed in on the awesome aprons (and the fact that Sydney seems to be having a blast). How amazing that you made the aprons yourself. They are way too chic to lend an air of drudgery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that the aprons went chic and far, far, far away from the drudgery mark. That was my hope, anyway. Sewing is way more fun that I thought it would be, and I thought it would be pretty fun. Once you have safely brought Pip into the world and gotten through that all important first year, you should think about sewing. It would be right up your alley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I’m with Jeremy on the paper plates, I like to have a real plate. I think maybe it’s a carry over from childhood. In our house dad got to use the real plate and all us kids had to use the paper once. Now I’m a grown up and I want to use a real plate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL -- nice one, Dave. I guess Jeremy shares your unfortunate childhood memories of paper plates. I, on the other hand, am very susceptible to marketing ploys and Chinette has had some very fine commercials on HGTV lately. : )

    Oh, well, new dishwasher arrived today and it ROCKS! (Okay, really it just cleans dishes.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the aprons! Love even more that Sydney is being raised to expect that housework is a part of every day life and not worthy of any fussing.
    Guess I am partly to blame for traumatizing Jeremy with paper plates... once I read that it's cheaper to use paper plates than to wash plates, I was all over that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, Kim, way to go, traumatizing your son about paper plates, while raising him to cook and clean. What were you thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I'm so impressed with your aprons! I'm also impressed with your domestic habits. I support the paper plates, and I support the fun!

    Maybe there will be homade gifts this year?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shhhhh! Don't ruin the surprise of everyone I know receiving aprons for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I may get out my sewing machine again. I made curtains last summer. I think maybe this summer I could try aprons as well. It seems to be a curtian with a ribbon?

    ReplyDelete
  11. dishtowel with a ribbon, actually :)

    ReplyDelete