It seemed that the two of them felt a bit of a kinship as well. As a twenty-something single guy on leave from the Army, I didn't have much in the way of expectation of James interacting a lot with Sydney. How wrong I was! James played with Sydney the entire visit. During a three hour car trip, James spent at least an hour turned around playing with Sydney (the game, by the way involved James throwing Sydney's baby doll at her -- I have never heard my daughter laugh hysterically for more than twenty minutes before). While Sydney was playing in the baby pool, Uncle James would shoot her with the water gun. He would toss the water gun into the pool when it was empty and Sydney would hold it out to him, asking for more, apparently. Only when James stepped forward to get the water gun, Sydney would take the opportunity to splash wildly, getting her uncle soaking wet. Sucker.
I was also very impressed with the way James handled Sydney. Jeremy and I are very much into the idea of raising an independent daughter. We try to have her do for herself as much as possible. James, though, took the idea to a whole new level. Whatever physical thing they were doing, whether it was swimming or climbing the slide, James would assess how much Sydney could do for herself and then refused to help her beyond that point. He kept reassuring her that the task would be more fun if she did it herself, told her he knew she could do it, and when she accomplished the task, told her proudly, "that was all you, Sydney!"
We know the Army needs Uncle James and all, but we can't wait until we get to see him again!
Moved me to tears...
ReplyDelete