Saturday, June 21, 2008

First Visit to the Beach



Last week, Sydney had her first visit to the beach. Jeremy's mother (Grandma Kim) and I took Sydney and we had a blast! I was a bit irritated that I missed capturing the very first moment Sydney got in the water with the camera. Kim and I were putting down all of the bags, cooler, chairs, etc. when Sydney grabbed her big blue toy boat and made a bee line for the water -- 'cause that's where boats go, of course. I had to leave Kim to unpack while I took off after Sydney.

Sydney's favorite discoveries at the beach:
* boats float (and move with the tide)
* there are BIRDS at the beach
* there is dirt UNDER the water at the beach
* water will wash away dirt
* people leave prizes at the beach, mostly dirty old shoes
* coolers hold snacks

We stayed for just over three hours, going out in the water for a bit, playing in the sand for a bit, and then coming back to the shade of the beach umbrella for a snack. Once again, I am amazed by my bold little girl. She would run into the water like it was completely natural. At one point, we had waded out to water that was waist deep on Sydney. Kim kept trying to get Sydney to hold her hand since the waves were high enough to knock Sydney over. When Sydney refused over and over again to hold her grandmother's hand, I finally told Kim to let one wave knock Sydney over. Sure enough, after being knocked over (and immediately pulled up out of the water by her grandma), Sydney was ready to hold hands. She just had to see the reason for the rule for herself. I guess that's good to know about her sooner rather than later!


running from waves


playing in the sand



Look, dirt under the water!





The S.S. Sydney, afloat at the beach

3 comments:

  1. The best day I have had at the beach in many years! Can't wait til she is old enough to ride the waves on a boogie board!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I have mentioned how photogenic your girl is, but she also has a great spirit. She is so bold and yet easy going. I bet she becomes that child that all the other children want to be around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Jen. That means a lot to me. I do love Sydney's spirit so very much. I just feel so blessed to have been called to be her mother. I'm glad that people other than her parents (and grandparents) can see some of the same things I do. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete