Saturday, June 7, 2008

A Really Long Story That Isn't Really About Sydney

Recently, I turned our house upside down. It started with four overflowing boxes of books that Sydney's grandma found in her attic that of course Sydney would need to read. The practical side effect was that the Sydney book storage needed some serious updating. Prior to the rearrange, Sydney had the top shelf of our super-sized bookcase, which was already filled to maximum. So, I got out the old white bookcase that my father had made for me, painted it a green to go with Sydney's room, and there you go....



Except now, about a million mass market paperbacks were homeless with the formally white bookcase now functioning as Sydney's new green bookcase. The easiest solution: use the super-sized bookcase (also made by my father, designed to hold mass markets double stacked). Unfortunately, only the top shelf had been freed by Sydney's books. The other shelves had either more books, or in the case of the bottom two shelves, Sydney's toys. So, in putting all of the books on this shelf, we had to move all of Sydney's toys off.



Next solution: use the small bookcase that had been next to my desk as Sydney's new toy storage. I liked this solution, and I was able to move all of my computer manuals and things that were on it to some previously empty drawers in an extra desk in the guest bedroom. We also moved Jeremy's desk to the living room and temporarily got rid of Jeremy's computer to see if we are ready to live as a one computer family.






And here's where the final ulterior motive comes in. This is my desk, with my early birthday present: a sewing machine!

With the super-sized bookshelf in the bedroom (which was made possible by Jeremy's desk going to the living room), there was room for my desk (with my computer safely on Jeremy's desk in the living room) to sit in the sunroom with my new sewing machine. (I swear I hear the guy from The Price Is Right when I type that: my BRAND NEW sewing machine!!!!)



I have started sewing lessons where we made a mini-pillow/pin cushion -- you can see in the picture with the sewing machine. So my first at home project was a pillow for the futon. I can't wait to learn more so I can do more.

4 comments:

  1. You got a new sewing machine? Cool - now you can teach me how to sew once you learn how. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! If you had not been in New Jersey, I might have conned you in to taking sewing classes with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I can admit to getting a little lost in the moving play-by-play, but I perked right up when I read about the sewing machine. I am so, so, so jealous of and excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your 'rearranging' saga sounds so familiar, I have been going thru that process throughout my house! Glad to pass the fun on to you guys!
    I'm thrilled that you are sewing! I grew up with a mom who sewed just about anything, and I regret that I turned down the chance to learn more from my mom. I can only sew simple things. Hopefully Sydney will want to learn to sew when she's a little older!

    ReplyDelete