Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Shoes

I wish I had a scanner. Because if I did, I would upload a picture of myself at this age wearing my father's shoes.

Sydney, like her mother, has a toddler obsession with shoes. I remember putting on my Mema's shoes and walking through her house waiting for her to "catch" me wearing her shoes and make a big fuss about it. I have this clear picture in my mind: she had a reading light next to her chair, and in order to look at my feet (or anything else in between that light and her), she had to shield her eyes from the lamp to see.

For Sydney, it's all about not only finding shoes she can actually get on her feet (flip flops don't work so well), it's also about finding matching pairs. In the morning, she follows me to my closet and if I find one shoe, she will search through the pile of shoes to find the mate.

I wonder if this shoe thing will be a passing toddler phase, or the beginning of a lifelong love affair with shoes? I for one am not so much into shoe fashion as comfort and what I think looks cool (those are indeed my shoes she has on in the picture, after all). But according to Sex in the City and HGTV (which shows crazy closets with entire walls for shoes) many, many women are way into shoes. Maybe Sydney will be one of them.

I sort of hope not. I'm not looking forward to the day my daughter starts mocking my shoes.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry, she may have inherited the shoe gene from me. I have fantasies about a closet the size of my bedroom, with an entire wall for shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a scanner. I can scan the picture for you the next time we get together. I would love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo cute!

    Oh, and I just realized that the internet ate the last comment I tried to make on your 4th of July post. (It was something about how cool G-town is and how much fun that rocket ride looked or something like that).

    You are such a great mom!

    (and Happy B-day!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love shoes!!!! Sydney already has good taste I'm sure. HappyBirthday!!!!!! Love Suzanne, (not Dave about the shoes, just also him wishing you Happy B-day)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I mock you for Sydney. Those shoes are soooo you! I think I know which picture you are talking about.


    Oh Happy B-day! Hope it is a nice one!

    ReplyDelete