Saturday, February 28, 2009

Spring

I am so sick of winter. In The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, I truly see how evil the White Witch was, making it "always winter and never Christmas" because really, as far as I can tell, Christmas is the only good thing about winter. The weather turns colder and I get really excited in happy anticipation of Christmas and then I enjoy the turning of the year with New Year's parties and resolutions, and then, I would like it to be spring, please. The rest of January drags on for me, and February would be the longest month except a) someone else felt this way a long, long time ago and had the foresight to make February the shortest month and b) as a Kindergarten teacher, I can tell you that between Groundhog Day, Valentine's Day, President's Day, National Dental Health Month (no joke), Black History Month and the 100th Day of School, February keeps me busy.

But it's the first of March today, and that means Spring. I can feel Easter coming and am enjoying the Lenten season. Gardening sounds like a good idea and it's time to refresh the backyard.

If you recall, this time last year, Sydney and I were planting special beans and growing Pinwheels. The Pinwheel garden is doing very well and we're seeing a new bumper crop. The success of the Pinwheel garden has made us a little ambitious and we're trying to cultivate Flamingos this year. Pink ones, to be precise.

I know the Flamingo plot isn't very impressive at this time, but the Pinwheel plot started the same way and here we are, a mere year later and I think we're a real contender for the Perennial Pinwheel Prize at the local fair (if there were a local fair and if they had such a prize, that is).

Also, because Flamingos have more personality than Pinwheels, I think we'll need to spend more time getting to know the individual Flamingos before adding a whole lot more. They also tend to be pricier, so it make take a little bit longer to fill up the plot. But it is early in Flamingo season, so who knows what the late Spring, early Summer, and especially the late Summer clearance will bring.

Alfred

Edna


Ferdinand

1 comment:

  1. I love your garden! The magic beans have yielded a real bumper crop of pinwheels.

    ReplyDelete