Sunday, May 24, 2009

Boots and Puddles

With me on maternity leave (and then summer break) and Jeremy on paternity leave this week and next, we have had a lot of time as a family over the last few days. I am grateful for this, especially for Sydney's sake. Even with the arrival of her brother, for now with both parents off work, she is actually getting more parental attention that usual these days.

Usually, when we have time off, Sydney and I spend a lot of time on the go... to Kiddie Acres, or the Children's Museum, or whatnot. It has been interesting, therefore, to just chill out at home and see what Sydney comes up with. Today, she became a super hero. These are her superhero boots (yes, they are really my socks) and her own socks became her super hero gloves. I know she was a super hero because she told me she was "like Mr. Incredible" and he's the only super hero she really knows.


Last night, it rained and Sydney was insistent that she needed to put on her raincoat. So once it stopped raining, we put on her raincoat, jeans, and crocs and walked down the street jumping in puddles. Since it never rains here, the ground soaks up a lot of the water so the only real puddle was at the end of the street where the curb is broken up by this strip of concrete. (Jeremy and I both want to call this a culvert, but we both suspect we are wrong).

I forget a lot of the time that it can be so much fun just to be at home. I have said before that I worry that Sydney is really this homebody and I keep making her go out. More than ever, I suspect there is some truth there. When her grandmother came to watch her while we were in the hospital having Jack, Sydney refused to leave the house. Her grandmother offered to take her to all of her favorite places, and Sydney just wanted to be at the house. It's a week later and Sydney is still happy as a clam, chilling at the house, wearing boots and jumping in puddles.

3 comments:

  1. I love the pictures. I know I'm partial since I bought the jacket, but I still think it's cute to see her playing in the puddle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Just so you know, every single time it rains, she tells us that she needs to put her raincoat on.

    ReplyDelete