I do understand that every family has its own philosophies and that some of mine are in direct conflict with other peoples'.
I guess I just hadn't been a parent long enough to come into serious disagreement with someone over those differences.
Today at church, I was handed that opportunity. Jeremy and I believe that church is a place for families and that includes small children. I have always taken Sydney out when she was crying or, as she got older, was disobedient. Sydney has learned to speak only in a whisper and only occasionally. She does sometimes forget and makes too much noise, but overall she is quiet in church. She plays with her puzzles and magna doodles and yes, sometimes you can hear the noise of a puzzle piece clattering to the wooden floor, or the sound of a magna doodle pen clinking against the side of the screen. And yes, she is a toddler, and sometimes, no matter how much she knows she's not supposed to, she just does something she shouldn't, like saying a loud "no" to me when I try to help her stand for a hymn, for example.
Various people at church have commented to me that they are impressed by how quiet and well behaved she is and many of the older folks at our service (we go to the early service) have told me how nice it is to have a little one around.
Well, you know the saying, "you can't please all the people all the time" right?
This morning, as we tried sitting in a different spot (one closer to the narthex, in case Jack started crying and I needed a quick escape), and Sydney did speak too loudly once, one woman was particularly annoyed and before the opening anthem was over, had rudely shushed Sydney. We immediately moved back to our usual spot, lest this woman feel the need to continue shushing Sydney.
After the service (and mostly because the sermon was about people being welcoming of others in the church and not "locking" others out of church with their actions), I went to speak with the woman. I wanted to apologize that Sydney had spoken too loudly that one time and explain why we had tried changing spots and assure the woman that we would sit in our expected spot from then on.
Instead of simply accepting my apology, the woman told me in no uncertain terms that I "had no idea what a distraction that child was" and she "didn't know why [I] brought her to church."
I've never had my child be "that child" before and it was heartbreaking. All I could think to do (because I really wasn't looking to fight with the woman in church) was tell her that I would "take that under consideration."
I am now sitting around feeling sorry. Not that this woman was rude and not that I take Sydney to church, but sorry that I lacked courage in my conviction and didn't tell that woman that my daughter has every right to be in worship and that although she was noisy at times, that she is learning to behave, and more importantly, she is learning to love being in church and will, from there, I hope, learn to love God and love worshiping Him.
Although I think it's unfortunate that this woman's worship is interrupted in some way by my daughter, I am certain that no Sydney noises can be heard from the front of the church (we sit in the second from back pew) and this woman chooses to sit across from us week after week (and we have been in attendance, sitting in the same space for almost six months). That alone tells me that she is looking for something to be disagreeable about and takes a certain joy in having found it.
So, there you go. My first run in with those who disagree with my parenting strategy. I can't say I love how I handled it, but I am pleased that I chose too nice over saying something spiteful. And since I am sure someone else someday will disapprove of something else I do, I will use this as a reminder to strive next time for standing up for myself and my daughter in a firm, but kind way.
You did handle this well, and the moral here is don't apologize for something unless you have done something wrong. Bringing your well behaved daughter to church is not wrong. There is no apology for your actions, she knew it, so instead of being sorry herself, she like others who never accept responsibiliy for their actions, lashed out at you.
ReplyDeleteYou were right not to defend yourself or you your daughter, because when you are on the defensive it means you are usually wrong.
Also, extend the pregnat theory of ours to "mother of a brand new baby" and see if you notice the type of person who smiles and gives hope and love versus the type of person who judges, condems and seeks to ruin.
***takes deep breath*** I will stop ranting, but I am very proud of you, and your awsome parenting skills. You are doing super!
Thank you.
ReplyDeleteYou know I needed to hear that.
What a witchy woman! I want to use other words but your kids may look at this blog someday soon. That is just awful and I think that that lady is jealous of you because you have two wonderful kids who will grow up to be wonderful people!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Aunt Suzanne
Go Danielle! You are right on in everything said.
ReplyDeleteYou are doing nothing wrong Rebecca. If you sat on the first three rows of the church with your toddler and infant and didn't take them out when there was a problem, then there would be room for her statement to you. But you don't do that. You do what any good and respectable parents do in small church. She is choosing to sit in the back when she could sit farther from you. Don't give her a second glance.
This is really DebraLynn's mom - Jesus said "Bring the children to me"
ReplyDeleteYou are doing that. She is the one that needs to repent. Not you, my friend. You are a wonderful mom and friend. That women has no idea was she is missing.
I also want to applaud you for attempting to reconcile with her even if you were not in wrong. That is maturity and attempting to walk in Christian unity.
In other words, all the way around - Good for you.
ah, your first run-in with the 'church lady'. you handled yourself very admirably, with class and no drama.
ReplyDeletethis woman is probably very unhappy (not your problem...). keep on doing what you're doing, i think you're one of the best moms i have ever met!
isn't it awesome that you can vent here, and say what ever you like? (well, almost...)
You guys are awesome. Thank you for the supportive words and thoughts. Normally I handle these things a little better (within myself)... sleep deprivation and new mom hormones can get the best of anyone and I have been very upset about this, wondering whether I have done the right thing. I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who thinks toddlers should be allowed in church.
ReplyDeleteI had a pastor one time who reminded the congregation that the children were welcome in service, and a little chatter or crying didn't bother him one bit, and it shouldn't bother them...basically. Apparently this lady is really missing the point of Sunday morning worship. I look at little ones in service and think of what precious words of God they are hearing...what seeds are being sown in their little hearts. She just doesn't get it. You handled yourself beautifully. I"m just sad for the woman.
ReplyDeleteOn a sidenote, I'll be heading to beach day in a few hours. Miss ya.
Thanks for adding your voice to the chorus, MS.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, all, I did e-mail the pastor on the off chance that this woman represented some silent majority and to see if the 8:30 service was somehow unspokenly "child-free"... just heard back from him. The pastor says that many folks have expressed joy over my daughter and that we should continue to come and worship as we have in the past. With his words, I am putting this behind me and moving on.
How did I miss this post before? Dude! That old lady was totally in the wrong. Of course small children should be in church. In the early church - shocking - there was no nursery. Thus the acoustics of cathedrals, to be heard over the murmurs, the babies and kids, the old ladies and men with digestion problems, those people who won't get off their cellphones - well, maybe not the last one.
ReplyDeleteI don't think you were uncourageous. You were more than courteous to an old lady who was probably ashamed to admit that she can't hear anymore or that she misses her family. You read people well, so in the moment it probably wouldn't have helped to explain, or you would have.
Summer --
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you finally responded... I was counting on your point of view on this one. You came through, as expected. Of course the early church had no nursery! And you made me feel better about not feeling courageous. Thanks!
I know this is a late comment, but I just wanted to give you some added support to what has already been voiced here. We have now, and will always continue to, take all of our children (four of them ages 4 1/2 and under) to church service with us! We believe that the early church's example of children in the congregation is the one we should follow. We all know that children are sponges and all that we put in to them will come out. Based on that knowledge, I can't think of anything better to be pouring into them than the love of God and his word! You guys are doing great!!
ReplyDeleteSerita, I am so glad you are now on my blog! I do appreciate your support and am grateful to know that your children are also (to coin a phrase a church friend gave me to describe the process of learning how to behave in church and learning all of the liturgy and familiar hymns) being "churched."
ReplyDelete