Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Some More Big Sister Thoughts

We brought Jack home from the hospital today and really got to see Sydney interacting with him. She was great! She readily identified him by name, was excited to compare him to herself (Sydney has ears, Jack has ears, Sydney drinks milk, Jack drinks milk), rushed to soothe him whenever he fussed, and was very anxious to bring things for him and just be a helper.

I am sure that our sitter talked about the new baby with her a lot today. I am also sure that her grandmother who stayed with her while we were in the hospital did some prep work. Going from indifferent on Monday to excited to help on Wednesday was unexpectedly soon, but I am so very grateful.

I know that they are going to have disagreements and I know that there will be jealousy, but I am encouraged by the early signs of love and devotion. Sydney is going to be a great big sister.

3 comments:

  1. You spaced it just right. She's the right age to be a really big help not because she has to be, but because it's fun and neat to be able to help at that age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you may be right. She is doing such a great job. She calls him "Jack-a-baby" by the way. She says "he's like a baby, but he's Jack."

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was never a doubt... Sydney does mean "grace in motion while chewing on a stick" you know.

    I love that he is more than a baby, he is her Jack.

    ReplyDelete