Saturday, May 30, 2009

Cooking

First of all, I have to give all credit for this idea to Jeremy's mom. She had plans to do this with Sydney while she was here and they got too busy doing other things, so I took the idea and ran with it.

The goal is simple: make trail mix with Sydney. I have no idea what goes into real trail mix, of course, but I did have a container of this trail mix from Target that Jeremy's mom had left here. It contained: M&Ms, chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, peanuts, and raisins. Not exactly trail food, as I'm sure any proper Boy Scout could tell you, but super yummy. I didn't particularly like the peanuts, so we took that out of the recipe.

I had Jeremy get all of the ingredients this morning and then Sydney and I "cooked."

This is what I know about cooking:

1) Any excuse to wear an apron will do.
2) The more cool cooking tools you use, the better.
3) You should sample the food as you cook.

So Sydney and I donned our aprons (not so subtle hint to Nana -- Sydney is outgrowing her old apron) and poured the chips, M&Ms, and raisins first into a measuring cup and then into the container. (We had to use the measuring cup because real cooks measure and we were pretending to be real cooks.) We also tested each ingredient to make sure it tasted alright before putting it into the mixture.

Here's the final product:

Yummy!

2 comments:

  1. I love that she enjoys helping so much! So will this mix be set out for guests? I know I can't wait, so
    save some for me, or Sydney and I can cook some for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so impressed! sydney's first cooking experience went so well, and the result was delicious! by the time she is in jr high, she will be cooking dinner for you guys...

    ReplyDelete