Monday, August 24, 2009

Babysitter

This is Sydney's weekend babysitter, Angie. Angie is going off to college this week and came by to say "good bye."

Finding the right kind of teenage babysitter (finding the right kind of babysitter at all) is hard, and I am so grateful that we found Angie. She lives two doors down the street. Her twin brother mows our grass. Her younger sister also babysits sometimes. Her mother is our go to person when we are out of town and need the house watched. And her adopted grandmother, Grammie, lives across the street from us.

I mention all of these folks in her family, because when Angie babysat for Sydney it was a family affair. About five minutes after Jeremy and I left the house, Angie would give the "all clear" for her mother and sister to come over and see Sydney. (Because of course everyone wants to see Sydney.) At some point in the babysitting, Angie and Sydney would walk across the street to visit Grammie. And if Sydney ever napped, Angie's brother would come over and figure out the remote for the TV for Angie.

The net result is that now all of Angie's family adore my daughter as much as Angie does. When we haven't been out and about in the neighborhood, or have needed a babysitter, they start calling to see when they can see Sydney again.

I never worried about leaving Sydney with Angie, even though Angie was only fifteen when she started babysitting, because I knew I wasn't really leaving Sydney with Angie. I was leaving Sydney with Angie and her entire family.

Now that Angie is leaving, all I can say is, it's a good thing that Angie trained her sister to watch Sydney before she left for college!

No comments:

Post a Comment