Last Saturday, Sydney had not one, but TWO birthday parties to go to. I thought the whole double party thing was funny because at the second party, when it was time to eat cake and open presents, Sydney very exasperatedly told her dad that she had "already done that" at the first party.
The first party was for Sydney's friend Jimmy and she was so happy to be there and play with him. I work with Jimmy's mom and Sydney and Jimmy go to the same sitter, so we see a lot of each other. All four of Jimmy's grandparents were also there and one of the grandmas really took to Sydney and helped her get on and off of all three seats on the springy ride thingamabob.
The second party was for Emelia. Jeremy and I had this great moment where I arrived with Sydney to the party and Jeremy was already there. He comes out and says, "It's a water party." Oops. I forgot all about the water and hadn't brought any swim anything. Jeremy is a little panicked about what we're going to do and I have about decided to let Sydney play in her clothes, when I realize that Emelia's brother, Sean, is still in diapers and probably wears the same size swim diaper as Sydney. Then it occurs to me that both Emelia and Abigail are about Sydney's size and probably have an extra swim suit between them.Sure enough, as soon as I walked in and told Kristi that I forgot about the water, she was able in less than two minutes to produce a swim diaper and a choice of swim suits AND sunscreen. With no judgment whatsoever that I forgot all of these things.
I love having friends who are "with-it" and understanding.
Of course, I mostly just love birthday parties and was glad that Sydney had so much fun. I also appreciate the simple nature of both parties... a party at the park and an at-home water party with a pool and a slide. No clowns, ponies, balloon animals, crazy locales. Just good old-fashioned birthday fun.
Happy birthday, Jimmy and Emelia!

No comments:
Post a Comment